Non Alcoholic Labor Day Drink Ideas
Whether you’re newly sober or you’ve been in recovery for a long time, finding yourself at a social gathering on Labor Day weekend where people are drinking adult beverages can feel uncomfortable. It may even be tempting. If you are unsure that you can successfully be around alcohol this Labor Day weekend, a sober friend to bring with you can help tremendously. What also can help is enjoying a nice non-alcoholic drink to help celebrate the end of summer!
Here are a few recipes and ideas for some non-alcoholic drinks that taste great and are fun to make!
This an easy, fruity drink that can be enjoyed this Labor Day weekend. This could be an alternative to traditional Sangria!
- 4 cups of water
- one cup of crushed fruit such as strawberries or blackberries
- 4 teaspoons of honey
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve!
The perfect combination of spicy and sweet is excellent during a hot day in the sun. Mock Mules contain lime, simple syrup, club soda, mint leaves and ginger beer.
*Today’s brewed ginger beers are categorized as non-alcoholic because their alcohol content is less than 0.5%. If you are uncomfortable with a ginger beer, a ginger ale can be substituted.
- In the bottom of your cup (or pitcher if you’re mixing more than one) pour the lime juice, simple syrup and club soda
- Add mint leaves
- Fill a cup about half way with ice and pour over ice
- Top with ginger beer or ale
- Garnish with mint leaves and a lime wedge
- 2 TBS pomegranate juice
- 1 tsp pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup sparkling white grape juice. Can be substituted with sparkling apple cider or ginger ale.
- Pour the pomegranate juice into a champagne flute and add the pomegranate seeds
- Fill the glasses with the sparkling grape juice and make your toast to healthy sober living!
Sunrise Grapefruit Cocktail
It’s of course a mocktail but it’s absolutely beautiful in a champagne glass!
- ½ cup grapefruit juice
- 2 TBS simple syrup (equal parts water and sugar)
- ¼ cup club soda
- 1 TBS grenadine syrup
- Pour grapefruit juice to your glasses and add simple syrup
- Top each glass off with club soda
- Slowly pour grenadine into the juice and allow it to settle into the bottom of the glass
- Garnish with a slice of grapefruit. Serve!
Beyond Shirley Temple
Enjoying a non-alcoholic beverage this summer doesn’t mean you have to limit yourself to nothing but Shirley Temples. Try seedlip in place of gin with tonic, or simply relax with a cold brew peach or pineapple flavored tea! Find other likeminded, sober friends and start a recipe board! Many of the best alcohol treatment centers offer help and ideas if you hit a road block and need support.
The most important thing to remember as you enter this Labor Day weekend, is that you’re not alone and you DO have choices. Whether you’re celebrating with a loved one, relaxing on your own or partying with friends and family, there are so many alternatives available to keep you happy, healthy and sober this Labor Day Weekend.