Not all drug and alcohol abuse is the same. People use substances for different reasons and in different ways. Not surprisingly, when people seek treatment, their rehab experiences can also vary.
Men and women use alcohol differently. Three men have problems with alcohol abuse compared to every one woman who has similar substance abuse issues.
Why Do Men Need Rehab?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has some startling statistics about male alcohol use:
- Around 4.5% of males could be considered dependent on alcohol, compared to 2.5% of females.
- Males are about twice as likely as females to be legally intoxicated when they are the drivers in fatal vehicle accidents.
- Men have a greater tendency to commit suicide compared to women. Men are also more likely to use alcohol before committing suicide.
Alcohol abuse is a real problem for many men, but there is a large variety of rehab centers and addiction treatment programs that treat alcohol and drug dependencies. The treatments include everything from yoga to Faith rehab centers for men.
How Can Men Tell If They Need Rehab?
How can men determine if they need to enter rehab? They can look for certain signs. Men might be struggling with alcohol abuse if they
- have damaged their jobs, family lives, and other relationships because of drinking.
- have encountered dangerous situations because of drinking.
- have to drink larger amounts of alcohol to feel effects.
- drink longer and greater amounts than they had planned.
- drink even though it affects their moods.
- spend long stretches of time drinking or suffering from hangovers.
- are unable to stop or limit their drinking.
- have cravings for alcohol.
What Is Rehab for Men?
Rehab for men exists in various forms: it may consist of a program for men only. This program can be within a larger coed facility or outpatient treatment program. Rehab for men could also be a rehab center dedicated to treating just men. Some rehab is even more specific. There are also Faith rehab centers for men and treatment that addresses substance abuse and other faiths.
Why does rehab for men exist? Some men feel that this type of rehab helps men feel more comfortable. They say that society has encouraged men to act tough and not acknowledge their feelings, or show any vulnerability. They might feel more reluctant to discuss emotions because they feel that other people will make fun of them.
Men who feel uncomfortable talking about emotions might feel more secure in the presence of other similarly uncomfortable men. Those men might consider the groups to be a safe space to discuss true feelings. The groups would have therapists with education and experience in psychological matters relating to men.
Why Are Women Not Part of Rehab for Men?
There are various reasons why women are not a part of rehab for men. Some men state they feel that women have criticized them for substance abuse, and those men do not want to encounter that kind of criticism in rehab. Others argue that rehab for men is useful because it discourages people from pursuing relationships with the opposite sex. Men cannot try impress women in this environment, and can better concentrate on the treatment at hand.
Is Rehab for Men Different from Other Kinds of Rehab?
Rehab for men offers opportunities for men to heal with other men. In other ways, though, it resembles other sorts of rehab treatment. Men who enter inpatient rehab facilities typically undergo four steps:
1. Intake: Men receive medical examinations, discuss their substance abuse issues with doctors and other professionals, and develop a treatment plan.
2. Detox: Doctors help men detoxify their bodies from alcohol or drugs. The medical professionals help men deal with any withdrawal symptoms they might experience during the detox process.
3. Rehab: This stage consists of different treatments that depend the type of substance abuse patients experience. The patients may have other conditions, such as depression, and other factors.
4. Aftercare: In this step, men apply the lessons they have learned in rehab to try to achieve long-term recovery. Men also receive other kinds of treatment during this stage.
Rehab for Men Includes What Kinds of Treatments?
Men who attend rehab in inpatient facilities and programs often participate in treatments used in coed rehab facilities and programs. The treatment could involve medical intervention. Sometimes doctors prescribe drugs to help people stop taking other sorts of drugs.
The treatments can also be psychological. Rehab centers like Monarch Shores feature therapy that helps others examine why they are abusing substances, and gives them strategies to avoid future relapses. This therapy can be individual or in a group setting. Rehab also often incorporates 12-Step programs that allow patients to discuss personal stories with other patients.
Rehab centers also offer varying kinds of treatments. Faith rehab centers for men and other faith-based rehabs use spiritual teachings to examine and address substance abuse issues. Other types of rehabs use holistic treatments, physical activities, or nutritional counseling as part of their care.
How Do I Find the Right Rehab for Men?
Since there are so many types of rehab centers and treatment options, it should be easy to find the right kind of male-centered rehab for you or your loved one. Finding the right kinds of targeted treatment can be more effective in treating substance abuse problems and maintaining long-lasting recoveries. Help for men—or anyone—is out there.
Sunshine Behavioral Health strives to help people who are facing substance abuse, addiction, mental health disorders, or a combination of these conditions. It does this by providing compassionate care and evidence-based content that addresses health, treatment, and recovery.
Licensed medical professionals review material we publish on our site. The material is not a substitute for qualified medical diagnoses, treatment, or advice. It should not be used to replace the suggestions of your personal physician or other health care professionals.
Talk with one of our Treatment Specialists!
Call 24/7: 949-276-2886