How the SMART Recovery Program Works
SMART Recovery is an international non-profit that offers treatment to those looking for help with an addiction. Their philosophy – from their website – is:
To support individuals who have chosen to abstain, or are considering abstinence from any type of addictive behaviors (substances or activities), by teaching how to change self-defeating thinking, emotions, and actions; and to work towards long-term satisfaction and quality of life.
SMART Recovery utilizes a “4-point program,” but it’s nothing like the more rigid 12-step program. Instead, it focuses on a different approach, which again, is best described in their own words. SMART Recovery:
- Teaches self-empowerment and self-reliance.
- Encourages individuals to recover and live satisfying lives.
- Teaches tools and techniques for self-directed change.
- Meetings are educational and include open discussions.
- Advocates the appropriate use of prescribed medications and psychological treatments.
- Evolves as scientific knowledge of addiction recovery evolves.
To do all of this, SMART Recovery relies on the 4-point program build on this foundation: